We are recruiting for a financial accountant based out of Cardiff.
Based within the Finance Department of the Development Bank of Wales Group (DBW), the purpose of this role is to lead on the monthly review and sharing of management accounts/information produced by the financial assistants and also the preparation of annual subsidiary financial statements. You will assist the Financial Accountant and the Financial Controllers in the running of the financial accounting function of the DBW.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Review and provide commentary on monthly management accounts produced by the financial assistants in accordance with the agreed format and timetable.
- Provide value added commentary and challenge to budget holders on performance when sharing the management accounts/management information.
- Preparation of annual financial statements for subsidiary companies within the DBW Group.
- Preparation of annual financial statements for Limited Partnerships that are not consolidated into the DBW Group financial statements.
- Preparation of year end fair value reporting and disclosures on equity investments in association with investment managers.
- Preparation of year end schedules and disclosures for the loan book under IFRS 9.
- Review of month end reconciliations of key control accounts.
- Review and authorisation of bank payments.
- Manage 3 direct reports with key responsibility for the processing of purchase ledger invoices, credit card transactions and travel and subsistence claims.
- Lead and motivate direct reports to ensure they are maximising their potential. This will include objective setting and monitoring within the DBW performance management review scheme (PMR)
- To assist in the management of the accounting and financial control procedures which safeguard the assets of the company.
- Proactively identify areas of weakness and work across departments to identify/implement improvements.
- Assist the Financial Controller and Financial Controller (Projects) with development and improvement of the accounting and associated systems in accordance with best practice.
- Co-operation with internal and external auditors, advisers and Welsh Government officials as required.
- Any other task as may be identified by the Financial Accountant and Financial Controller to meet the operational needs of DBW.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Experience
- Recently qualified, or part qualified/studying for a recognised UK accountancy qualification.
- Up to date knowledge of technical accounting developments including IFRS9 and fair value accounting.
- Knowledge of preparation of financial statements under IFRS to include FRS 101 and FRS 102.
- Line management experience.
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written.
- IT literate with advanced ability using Microsoft Office suite of products.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to communicate through the medium of Welsh.
- Awareness of the Development Bank of Wales Group.
- Familiar with SAGE 200 or similar accounting packages.
- Familiar with Portfolio management systems.
- Familiar with Power BI and A La Carte data management tools.
- Self motivated and flexible approach to work.