We are recruiting for a Group technical accountant based out of Cardiff.
Based within the Finance Department of the Development Bank of Wales Group (DBW), the purpose of this role is to be the technical lead in all accounting matters and to assist the financial controllers in the running of the financial accounting function of the DBW.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Preparation of annual financial statements for subsidiary companies within the DBW Group.
- Preparation of annual financial statements for Limited Partnerships that are not consolidated into the DBW Group financial statements.
- Liaise with the FW Capital Accountant regarding preparation of annual financial statements for those subsidiary companies that manage funds outside of Wales e.g FW Capital Ltd.
- Assist the Financial Controller with the preparation of the consolidation and production of the annual financial statements for the DBW Group.
- Production of year end fair value reporting and disclosures on equity investments in association with investment managers.
- Proactive identification of new accounting, audit and taxation issues by close contact with advisors and regular briefing of the finance team of their impacts.
- Production of year end schedules and disclosures for the loan book under IFRS 9.
- Implementation of new IFRS standards (e.g. 15 and 16 etc) into the Group and subsidiary financial statements.
- Review monthly management accounts in accordance with the agreed format and timetable.
- Review of month end reconciliations of key control accounts.
- Provide feedback on the management accounts and support to team members involved in their preparation.
- Advise budget managers with monitoring their expenditure and commitments against budget.
- Review and authorisation of bank payments.
- Review of quarterly VAT return.
- Lead and motivate direct reports to ensure they are maximising their potential. This will include objective setting and monitoring within the DBW performance management review scheme (PMR)
- To assist in the management of the accounting and financial control procedures which safeguard the assets of the company.
- Proactively identify areas of weakness and work across departments to identify/implement improvements.
- Assist the Financial Controller and Financial Controller (Projects) with development and improvement of the accounting and associated systems in accordance with best practice.
- Co-operation with internal and external auditors, advisers and Welsh Government officials as required.
- Any other task as may be identified by the Financial Controller to meet the operational needs of DBW.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Experience
- Holder of a recognised UK accountancy qualification with at least 2 years post qualification experience in a financial services environment.
- Experience of line management in a Finance department.
- Up to date knowledge of technical accounting developments including IFRS9 and fair value accounting.
- Experience of preparation of financial statements under IFRS to include FRS 101 and FRS 102.
- Experience of consolidation accounting.
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written.
- IT literate with advanced ability using Microsoft Office suite of products.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to communicate through the medium of Welsh.
- Awareness of the Development Bank of Wales Group.
- Familiar with SAGE 200 or similar accounting packages.
- Familiar with Portfolio management systems.
- Familiar with Power BI and A La Carte data management tools.
- Self motivated and flexible approach to work.