We are recruiting for an investment executive based out of Cardiff (covering Unitary Authority of Cardiff and Vale of Glamorgan)
The investment executive is responsible for sourcing and appraising applications for investments into the Development Banks. Investments will be made under commercial terms and in accordance with the investment criteria set by the Development Bank. Loans of up to £50,000 can be made.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Source and appraise investment proposals. Typically, investments will be unsecured so an ability to understand underlying cashflow assumptions and to properly assess these is paramount.
- Deliver against investment and yield targets
- Conduct thorough and robust management, financial and commercial due diligence when considering investment opportunities and assess the risks attendant to each investment
- Negotiate terms and conditions relating to legal documentation for placing investments.
- Prepare investment reports for credit sanction.
- Ensure completion of legal documentation.
- Contribute to the operation of the Development Bank as a professional fund management company and provider of risk capital to start-up and existing businesses, in accordance with the terms of approval from Public Sector bodies and European Regional Development Funds (ERDF)
- Maintain and develop technical and industry specific knowledge to ensure best practice and compliance in investment activity
- Liaise closely with the portfolio team post investment and support as required to maintain the relationship with the investee company and facilitate additional investments as appropriate.
- Disseminate examples of best practice for applying to the fund to key business introducers and ensure that the application process is continually refined and improved to provide the best possible client service
- Develop and maintain links and networks with key business introducers and intermediaries to source suitable investment opportunities
- Participate and represent the Development Bank, where appropriate, at meetings, seminars, events and joint group activities
- Operate under delegated authority limits and Investment Operational Guidelines.
- Contribute to marketing/promoting the Development Bank.
- Any other task as may be defined by the fund manager to meet the operational needs of the department
Knowledge, skills, abilities and experience
- Some experience in investing or lending to SMEs
- Previous experience of credit report preparation
- Understanding of risk assessment and investment processes and procedures
- Strong communication, influencing and interpersonal skills
- Able to work independently and as part of a team
- Confident in own decision making skills
- Ability to prioritise and organise work under pressure
- Attention to detail
- Experience of analysing financial information
- Established network of introducers with Welsh SME space.
- Knowledge and understanding of the role of the public sector in SME finance
- Understanding of the regional business environment
- Welsh speaker (for roles based in Wales)
- Driving Licence
- IT literate to include the use of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Sage Winforecast