We are recruiting for a portfolio development manager based out of Cardiff.
Primary purpose of the role will be to deliver positive returns on Development Bank of Wales equity portfolio investments and high quality portfolio information. The post holder will be expected to adopt a proactive approach to developing and realising value in portfolio investments.
The post holder will assist in the management of a portfolio of investments made by Development Bank of Wales Investments and will need to build close working relationships with clients to meet the requirements of Development Bank of Wales Investments and add value to the original investment made. Strong technical, influencing and inter personal competencies will be required to maximise the return on Development Bank of Wales’ investments.
In addition the post holder will be responsible for delivering new high growth equity investments through direct targeting of Welsh SME’s and the existing portfolio of debt investments.
Main duties and responsibilities
- To take primary responsibility for the management of identified growth investments through a team of Portfolio Executives across the Development Bank of Wales Group.
- Drive the team to identify and deliver new equity investments, exclusively via direct approaches to Welsh SMEs and through the existing Development Bank of Wales debt portfolio.
- Lead, manage, motivate and support a team of Portfolio Executives and Administrators, and develop suitable performance management procedures to achieve agreed fund outputs.
- Where appropriate the post holder will maintain relationships with portfolio companies and undertake direct monitoring activity.
- Ensure appropriate steps are taken to develop value in Development Bank of Wales growth portfolio companies. Drive successful exit situations, at all times maximising portfolio value
- Develop appropriate plan of action with portfolio executives to ensure that all portfolio clients are effectively monitored.
- Monitor and assess relevant information, including financial information to prepare necessary reports on performance of portfolio companies.
- Determine and implement strategies for the development and successful exit of growth investments.
- Provide investment support for growth portfolio companies in the form of appropriate levels of debt or equity finance.
- Maintain productive working relationships both internally and externally with portfolio team stakeholders.
- Provide strategic guidance and input to investee companies – this could involve attendance at Board Meetings in an observer capacity - ultimately creating shareholder value for the benefit of Development Bank of Wales and other shareholders.
- Identify and highlight cases where Development Bank of Wales investment is either at risk or where there is limited growth potential, liaising with the Portfolio Executive to arrange appropriate monitoring arrangements for such investments.
- Co-ordinate tailored events to add value to portfolio or prospective companies.
- Ensure that all interactions with internal and external bodies and members are conducted in accordance with the highest professional standards, maintaining and developing Development Bank of Wales reputation.
- Promote best practice for environmental and diversity issues within the Fund.
- Any other task as may be defined by the Portfolio Director to meet the operational needs of the department, ensuring that at all times, the trust and confidence of the Company’s investors is retained.
Knowledge, skills, abilities and experience
- Strong communication, influencing and interpersonal skills
- Confident in leadership roles, ability to coordinate complex project tasks
- Able to work independently and confident in own decision making skills
- Ability to prioritise and organise work under pressure and determination to complete tasks in a qualitative manner with measureable success
- A detailed understanding investment and portfolio management best practice
- Detailed knowledge of equity investment and all related legal matters
- Experience of working in a financial or similar numerate environment, in particular experience of analysing financial information
- Line management experience of leading a motivating a team
- Knowledge and understanding of the SME Business environment in Wales
- Relevant professional qualification
- Knowledge and understanding of the role of the public sector in SME finance
- Understanding of the regional business environment
- Presentation skills
- Welsh speaker
- An awareness of SME business issues in Wales.
- Driving license
- IT literate