We are recruiting for a Self Build Wales operations manager based out of Cardiff.
To manage all operational aspects of the new Self Build Wales (“SBW”) scheme. The Operations Manager (“OM”) will primarily be responsible for: 1) implementing the new SBW scheme in readiness for launch in April 2019; 2) managing all aspects of ongoing operational delivery of SBW. Further details as follows:
1). Implementation of the new scheme will involve supporting the Property Director (“PD”) in: developing all systems, processes & procedures for the new scheme; coordinating key stakeholders (including Welsh Government, Local Authorities, due diligence providers, regulators and various industry bodies); and developing an appropriate recruitment & staffing strategy to meet the needs of the scheme, in readiness for launch in April 2019.
2). Management of ongoing operational delivery will involve: establishing the systems, processes & procedures across the new SBW team, ensuring these are regularly reviewed for robustness and efficiency; ensuring that all SBW fund targets are met and reported on accurately; and line managing a number of Self Build Executives (“SBEs”).
Main duties and responsibilities
- Lead on the development and promotion of the new SBE scheme and operating model, working in partnership with the DBW Marketing and Communications team.
- The design, implementation and subsequent management of an application appraisal process, to be delivered by the SBEs.
- The development and implementation of appropriate training programmes in partnership with various SBW stakeholders.
- Lead the facilitation of stakeholder forums, meetings and promotional events, with full responsibility for the management of SBW events budget.
- Provide support to SBEs on all aspects of the deal process.
- Engagement with Local Authorities and Welsh Government to ensure the supply of good quality, eligible self build sites for progression through the scheme.
- The development and implementation of compliant investment operating procedures and processes for an unregulated financial promotions environment.
- Contribute to the overall strategic management of the SBW scheme to achieve its objectives in line with annual performance targets set by the Development Bank of Wales (“DBW”).
- Lead internal working relationships with DBW service departments and with external networks, including the Federation of Master Builders, UK Finance and professional organisations.
- Deputise for the PD at external networking and business development events when required.
- Any other task as may be identified by the PD to meet the operational needs of the SBW scheme.
Knowledge, skills, abilities and experience
- Self-motivated with the ability to take a proactive approach and able to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Experience of managing multiple line reports.
- Experience of property development and an ability to work through related transactions & technical challenges with minimal assistance or supervision.
- Experience of report preparation and presentation to a high standard.
- Understanding of risk assessment and investment processes & procedures.
- Strong communication, influencing and interpersonal skills.
- Confident in own decision making skills.
- Ability to prioritise and organise work under pressure.
- Attention to detail.
- Experience of analysing financial information, valuation reports and feasibility studies.
- Knowledge of office procedures and payment processes, and development of administrative systems.
- Experience of liaising with clients and external organisations at a senior level.
- IT literate to include the use of Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Experience of developing and enhancing reporting functions for fund management purposes.
- Experience of improving and maintaining key systems, procedures and templates.
- Experience of critically appraising applications, deals and balancing underwriting considerations with fund investment imperatives.
- Experience of coaching line reports; assessing their strengths, weaknesses and arranging training or opportunities to gain experience as required to suit their development needs.
- Experience of managing key external stakeholders.
- Understanding of the DBW Group and its activities.
- Established network across the Welsh property sector.
- Previous experience of working in a firm regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
- Welsh speaker.
- Driving Licence.