We are recruiting for a senior legal services executive based out of Cardiff.
To manage and deliver an efficient legal support service for the Development Bank of Wales Group, across all aspects of the Group’s investment activity.
Requirement to manage and contribute directly to the timely production and in-house delivery of large volumes of legal documents for the Group’s investment teams, generating fees for the service provided in the process.
To manage the equitable and efficient award of external legal work to the Group’s panel lawyers in accordance with the terms of the Framework Agreements from time to time.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Provide effective leadership, line management and professional development of the Legal Services Executives.
- Manage workflows across the Legal Services Team to ensure that duties and responsibilities are discharged accurately and in a timely fashion, maintaining high levels of service to both internal and external customers.
- Take primary responsibility for the accurate production of loan agreements and associated security documentation (such as Debentures and Guarantees). Perfect security documentation and ensure the timely completion of all relevant registration procedures.
- Manage the day to day relationship with external panel lawyers on behalf of the Group. Ensure that the Legal Services Team responds promptly to requests for external legal advice, through the equitable and timely operation of the Legal Services Framework, ensuring a value for money service is delivered for the Group.
- Track and monitor the award of external work. Obtain, collate and deliver constructive feedback on panel lawyer performance at half-yearly review sessions, or as otherwise required.
- Liaise with external Legal Advisers to ensure legal/security documentation remains compliant with relevant statute, including Companies Act and Consumer Credit Act as updated from time to time.
- Ensure legal and security documentation relating to new funds is adopted in a timely fashion.
- Take lead responsibility for continuous improvement to procedures in the Legal Services Team. Through the effective discharge of day to day duties, identify areas for improvement in current procedures as they relate to the Legal Services Team and provide feedback to the Compliance Manager.
- Meet expected turnaround times for the preparation of such legal document as defined by the Director – Risk, Compliance & Legal
- Take primary responsibility for the maintenance and accuracy of information systems recording Development Bank of Wales Group security documents, including client assets, and ensure all obligations to maintain this security are met.
- Agree and charge fees for the provision of internal legal support, monitoring their adequacy against team costs and making recommendations for improvement as necessary. Take primary responsibility for the accurate collation and reporting of fees generated.
- Proactively deal with enquiries from DBW staff, external clients and liaise with lawyers in relation to investment and security documentation. Ensure that all interactions with internal and external contacts are conducted in accordance with the highest standards of customer service.
- Advise investment staff on the commercial impact of any changes requested to standard legal documentation.
- Any other task as may be defined by the Director – Risk, Compliance and Legal to meet the operational needs of the department.
Knowledge, skills, abilities and experience
- Team working. An ability to organise and prioritise own work and the work of others, under time pressure, to meet demanding timescales without compromising quality.
- Committed to developing own knowledge and expertise, and that of the rest of the team.
- Strong written and oral communication and interpersonal skills.
- Organisation and administrative skills and strong attention to detail.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Flexible approach to ensure completion of team responsibilities.
- IT/PC literate with ability to use Microsoft Office packages – Word, Excel, PowerPoint, e-mails, intranet and internet.
- Educated to a good standard.
- Knowledge of legal documentation including loan agreements and security.
- Leadership and management skills.
- Degree or relevant experience of company, banking, consumer credit and insolvency law.
- Knowledge of mezzanine and equity investment structures and legal documentation.
- Understanding of the principles of business lending.
- Welsh speaker.
- An awareness of business issues in Wales.