We are recruiting for an investment executive based out of north Wales.
The Investment Executive is responsible for sourcing and appraising early stage applications for investments from Development Bank of Wales (DBW) Funds. Investments will be made under commercial terms and in accordance with the investment criteria set by DBW. Investments can be structured into Equity, Loans or Mezzanine or a combination of the above and will be targeted at technology based, IP rich, fast growth potential companies.
The TSF#2 Investment Executive is also responsible for the monitoring, development and realisation of their respective investment portfolio.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Contribute to the operation of DBW as a professional fund management company and provider of risk capital to start-up businesses, in accordance with the terms of approval from Welsh Government and the European Regional Development Funds (ERDF)
- Source, appraise and recommend high calibre investment propositions to Senior Investment Executives, Investment Director or Investment Committee, where the proposed investment meets the Technology Ventures fund criteria established by the Development Bank of Wales
- Conduct thorough and robust management, financial, IP and commercial due diligence when considering investment opportunities and assess the risks attendant to each investment
- Negotiate terms and conditions to secure optimum investment structures for all investments.
- Manage the development and completion of all necessary legal documentation throughout the entire investment process, in line with DBW standard legal documentation and processes
- Monitor their respective portfolio, attending Boards as observer and facilitating the appointment of NEDS and the strengthening of the executive teams as necessary. Where appropriate, place follow-on investment in portfolio companies following the achievement of planned critical milestones
- Develop relationships with co-investors to secure timely and relevant investment from suitable third parties for new and follow on investments
- Guide and influence portfolio companies to deliver profitable and timely exits in line with the Funds commercial model
- Disseminate examples of best practice for applying to the Fund to key business introducers and ensure that the application process is continually refined and improved to provide the best possible client service
- Develop and maintain links and networks with key business introducers and intermediaries to source suitable investment opportunities
- Participate and represent DBW, where appropriate, in meetings, seminars, events and joint group activities
- Operate within delegated authority limits and Investment Operational Guidelines.
- Contribute to marketing/promoting DBW.
- Contribute to the achievement of defined goals and fund outputs in line with the relevant Fund Business Plans
- Maintain and develop technical and industry specific knowledge to ensure best practice and compliance in investment activity
- Any other task as may be defined by the Fund Manager to meet the operational needs of the Fund, ensuring that at all times, the trust and confidence of the Company’s investors is retained.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Experience
- Previous early stage venture capital, leveraged finance, corporate finance or University based Technology Transfer experience
- Understanding of all aspects relating to equity investment in either Early Stage investing
- Experience of co-investing in partnership with Business Angels, Institutional Investors, and Corporate Venture Funds.
- Demonstrable experience of investment portfolio management, ideally with early stage ventures
- Demonstrable expertise in and knowledge of key emerging technology sectors, ideally, with a detailed understanding of one of the wider ICT sector including - SAAS, digital media, telecoms, IOT, data analytics, security software.
- Strong communication, influencing and interpersonal skills
- Able to work independently and as part of a team
- Confident in own decision making skills
- Ability to prioritise and organise work under pressure
- Understanding of the technology transfer and IP commercialisation process
- Strong analytical and financial appraisal skills.
- Knowledge and understanding of the role of the public sector in SME finance
- Understanding of the regional business environment
- Excellent presentation Skills
- Welsh speaker
- Driving Licence
- IT literate to include the use of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, CRM systems.