We are recruiting for a special situations executive based out of Cardiff or Wrexham with pan-Wales travel.
To proactively identify the reasons for investee business underperformance within DBW’s equity portfolios. To quickly establish productive rapport with management teams; to develop and ensure the effective implementation of comprehensive and robust turnaround plans to restore satisfactory performance and maximise returns on smaller equity investments.
To prepare applications for any follow-on investments, whether by way of equity, debt or mezzanine support or any combination of these.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Contribute to appropriate action plans to maximise returns to the Development Bank of Wales from the equity investment portfolios, including driving turnaround plans, exit strategies, or recovery action where appropriate.
- Build and maintain close working relationships with equity portfolio companies and undertake direct monitoring activities. Such contact to be tailored to suit the needs of each client and will include attendance at board meetings and management of Non-Executive Directors, Interim Managers and Turnaround specialists as appropriate.
- Develop appropriate strategic plans with the agreement of the Special Situations Manager and appropriate Investment Director(s) to maximise returns to the Development Bank Group.
- Where appropriate, agree/ negotiate those strategic plans with the investee company board/ key stakeholders, utilising the Development Banks’ investment/ shareholder rights and influencing skills as necessary.
- Maintain ongoing contact with client businesses/ board members to ensure both an up to date understanding of client businesses and build strong relationships with management/ boards. Such contact to be tailored to suit the needs of each client and will include as a minimum attendance at board meetings.
- Produce and maintain accurate documentation for all client companies’ activities.
- Assess and monitor relevant information including financial information to prepare necessary reports on performance of portfolio companies.
- Develop and enhance the Development Banks of Wales’ reputation as a professional investment provider.
- Ensure that all interactions with internal and external bodies and members are conducted in accordance with the highest standards of customer service to ensure timely feedback to appropriate parties.
- Any other task as may be defined by the Special Situations Manager to meet the operational needs of the department, ensuring that at all times, the trust and confidence of the Company’s investors is retained.
Knowledge, skills, abilities and experience
- Self-motivated with the ability to take a proactive approach and work efficiently without supervision. Comfortable in dealing with time critical client sensitive work
- Results focused
- Experience of working in a financial or similar numerate environment and in particular awareness or experience of analysing financial information
- Experience of unlisted equity investment or management of directly held share-holdings in SMEs
- Analytical with an eye for detail whilst able also to take a longer term, more strategic view
- Ability to prioritise and organise work under pressure and meet targets
- Strong negotiating and influencing skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Resilient and determined, with developing problem solving skills
- Ability to construct balanced investment proposals
- Relevant professional qualification or relevant industry experience
- IT/PC literate with ability to use Microsoft Office Packages
- Driving Licence
- Understanding of the DBW Group and its activities
- Experience of business planning, strategic advice and corporate finance projects (investments, acquisitions, disposals), working in conjunction with company boards
- Some experience of financial restructuring transactions in respect of underperforming, stressed, or distressed SME’s
- Experience of developing, obtaining buy-in to and ensuring the effective execution of turnaround plans in investee businesses
- Technical financial and legal knowledge including an outline understanding of company law, insolvency law, business turnaround techniques and practice and board procedures
- An awareness of SME business issues in Wales
- Welsh speaker