We are recruiting for an assistant investment executive based out of Wales.
The Micro team is responsible for investing funds from £1,000-£50,000 to Micro sized businesses across Wales. Its mandate is to target solely new business, which then gets passed to one of the portfolio executives to manage. The sourcing, appraising and completion of a wide range of transactions, from £1,000 to £50,000, is fundamental to its operation and the wider objectives of DBW group.
The post holder will primarily be responsible for delivering the streamline loans (£1k-£10k loans for existing businesses) which is a key delivery for the Micro team as it helps achieves our deal volumes in the fund and supports follow-on funding in the future also.
They will also be responsible for supporting IEs post sanction to take deals to drawdown which will include reviewing CPs and analyzing customer documentation to ensure the information is in order for drawdown.
The post holder will also support IEs, in times of need, with ongoing deal flow by analysing applications, writing sanction papers and liaising with customers throughout the process.
The post holder will need to build close working relationships internally and with external business introducers and service providers to increase their market knowledge and ability to provide added value to potential clients. A comprehensive understanding of customer requirements and priorities will be key in ensuring excellent customer service and meeting The Development Bank of Wales’ investment criteria.
The post holder will hold well developed inter personal and problem solving ability. Banking technical skills, attention to detail and a proactive, hands on approach are also essential prerequisites for this role.
We would expect the candidate to develop into a full Investment Executive in a maximum of 2 years.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Contribute to the Micro team financial target, playing a key role in delivering timely and excellent customer service.
- Identifying opportunities for funding, carrying out financial analysis and making sound commercial decisions via streamline sanction reports for the line/fund manager.
- Work with Investment Executives in the Micro Team to assist in both the assessment of £1k-£50k deals (where required) and working with customers to completion of due diligence and necessary paperwork to complete each investment. This will include conducting thorough and robust management, financial and commercial due diligence when considering investment opportunities.
- Prepare & process streamline and Micro sanction reports.
- Develop over time and be involved in, the negotiation of commercial terms and translate these in to legal instructions.
- Taking responsibility for the completion of deals ensuring that customer service standards are achieved whilst acting commercially supporting the customer through difficult situations ensuring timely feedback to appropriate parties and signing off all CPs have been met.
- Be decisive in decision making, taking personal responsibility and being prepared to have potentially difficult conversations with clients.
- Liaise with the teams within the wider organisation, dealing with, and taking responsibility for, legal/security aspects.
- Maintain and develop industry knowledge and understand best practice in investment activity.
- Participate and where appropriate, represent the Development Bank investments at meetings, seminars, events and joint group activities.
- Contribute to the marketing/promotion of the Development Bank.
- Develop and enhance the Development Banks’ reputation as a professional investment provider.
- Any task as defined by the Fund Manager to meet the operational needs of the department.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Experience
- Self-motivated with the ability to take a proactive approach and work efficiently without supervision. Comfortable in dealing with time critical client sensitive work.
- Understanding of financial information and analysis
- Results focused.
- Strong team player
- The ability to prioritise and organise work under pressure and meet targets. Drive and determination to complete work to a consistently high standard.
- Good communication, influencing and interpersonal skills. Strong problem solving skills.
- Previous experience of credit report preparation and financial analysis
- Some understanding of risk assessment and investment processes
- Confident decision making capability
- Ability to assess investment proposals and conduct due diligence.
- Excellent report writing skills.
- IT/PC literate with ability to use Microsoft Office packages.
- Committed to developing knowledge and expertise
- Experience of investing/lending money to SMEs
- Understanding of the role of the public sector in SME finance
- Understanding of regional business environment
- Welsh Speaker
- Driving licence
- IT literate to include the use of Word, Excel & Powerpoint