We are recruiting for a TVI assistant investment executive based out of Wales.
The AIE role is to provide end-to-end transaction support to the wider TVI Team. Working closely alongside Investment Executives/Senior Investment Executives and Fund Managers, the AIE will be provided with opportunity to lead certain aspects on TVI transactions, including the closure of certain smaller TVI deals, following training. The role will also include monitoring of TVI portfolio assets and related tasks, and the provision of ad hoc support.
The post holder will have well developed inter-personal skills, with a demonstrable interest in technology investment, attention to detail and a proactive hands on approach.
We would expect the candidate to develop into an Investment Executive typically within a 2-3 year period, depending on experience.
Main duties and responsibilities (independently and/or under oversight)
A TVI AIE will be required to:-
- provide transaction support to Investment Executives/Senior Investment Executives/Fund Managers in the TVI team to assist in the assessment and completion of new investment opportunities;
- be involved in the negotiation of commercial terms and their translation into outline termsheets/legal instructions/investment documentation;
- liaise with external due diligence providers, scoping work assignments and negotiating best value for money for clients.
- After an initial period of training, an AIE would be expected to be able to close smaller investments with supervision from senior colleagues.
- Actively source TVI investment opportunities by maintaining links and networks with key business introducers and intermediaries, attending networking events as required.
- Contribute to marketing/promoting Development Bank of Wales.
Other responsibilities include:-
- Attending meetings with clients and intermediaries to promote successful TVI investments.
- Screening of applications at initial stages. Undertake research in order to make an assessment and respond to clients formally to decline or request further information if required.
- Assist with the preparation of summary papers and sanction reports & present investment cases for sanction.
- Review financial models and assist with financial analysis, including suggesting and undertaking sensitivity analyses for new and existing investment opportunities.
- Conducting commercial, financial, management, and technical due diligence when considering investment opportunities.
- Being decisive in decision making, taking responsibility and being prepared to have potentially difficult conversations with potential/existing clients.
- Maintain and develop industry knowledge and understand best practice in investment activity.
- Disseminate examples of best practice for applying to the TVI Funds to key business introducers and ensure that the application process is continually refined and improved to provide the best possible client service.
- Take responsibility for the management of a portfolio of TVI investments.
- Maintain regular (typically monthly), proportionate contact with client businesses in the portfolio to ensure both an up to date understanding of their circumstances and foster productive relationships with management. Contact strategies to be tailored to the circumstances of the business in question.
- Maximise the collation of accurate KPI data from portfolio businesses in a timely fashion, including writing reports/updating dashboards following client meetings.
- Use risk matrix to recommend performance grade and understand when performance needs to be escalated to Risk Team.
- Demonstrate an ability to add value to portfolio companies over and above a pure monitoring role.
- Oversee the completion of the investment draw down process on your specific transactions, acting as an initial point of sign off, ensuring all conditions of sanction have been met.
- Provide guidance to the TVI Team TSF Investment Support Analyst.
- Complete ad-hoc tasks as may be defined by the Investment Executives, Senior Investment Executives, Fund Managers, or Fund Director to meet the operational needs of the TVI team.
Knowledge, skills, abilities and experience
- Self-motivated with the ability to take a proactive approach and work efficiently with minimal supervision.
- Comfortable in dealing with time critical client sensitive work.
- Results focused. The ability to prioritise and organise workload and to work effectively under pressure and meet targets.
- Good communication, influencing and interpersonal skills. The ability to adapt one’s approach in order to foster productive working relationships.
- Problem solving skills.
- Strong organisation and administrative skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Committed to developing knowledge and expertise in seed/venture capital investment.
- Excellent presentation skills and a high degree of competence with standard MS Office products such as Word, PowerPoint and specifically Excel.
- Strong research skills, with an ability to assimilate, filter and retain a lot of information quickly.
- Able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Higher scientific degree and/or professional qualification.
- Prior seed/venture capital investing experience.
- Knowledge and understanding of early stage technology investment environment.
- Knowledge and understanding of the role of the public sector in SME finance.
- Knowledge and understanding of the Business environment in Wales.
- Welsh speaker.