What is the Green Business Loan Scheme energy audit?
You can access grant funding, through the Green Business Loan Scheme, to complete an independent energy audit. The support is for you if you feel you lack the knowledge, time, or capacity to identify the right steps to take your business on your Net Zero journey. Typically, you'll be in the early stages of decarbonisation and may need expert support and guidance to make sure your actions are impactful in terms of maximising both energy and cost reductions.
You may wish to read our Guidance for business - what is an energy audit? for further information.
What can I claim?
The Green Business Loan Scheme offers 50% of the cost of an independent consultant to undertake an energy audit. The maximum amount you can claim is £10,000 i.e., the total cost of the work is £20,000. For any claims over £2,500, i.e., £5,000 or above in total cost, we'll need two quotes to evidence value for money as part of your application.
What do I need to apply?
To submit an application, you'll need to:
- Identify a consultant to work with and have a quote, or multiple quotes, depending on the value as detailed above
- Have been trading for over two years
- Be an SME
- Have no adverse credit issues, such as CCJs or winding-up petitions
How do I find a consultant/auditor?
We don’t recommend specific consultants, but you can find many providers in the market. As a starting point, you can visit the UK Government Energy Saving Opportunity scheme (ESOS) page list of assessors.
Before agreeing to work with a third party it is important that you check they have a relevant qualification with a professional organisation in energy assessments or building energy audits. Examples of relevant qualifications include:
- Association of Energy Engineers – certified energy auditor international or certified energy manager international
- CIBSE (The Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers) – CIBSE low carbon consultant (LCC) register
- Elmhurst Energy Systems – Elmhurst approved non-domestic assessor
- Energy Institute – chartered energy manager, register of professional energy consultants
- Energy Managers Association – EMA energy saving opportunity scheme lead assessor register
- Institution of Chemical Engineers – register of chartered chemical engineers (MIChemE/FIChemE)
- Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment – register of IEMA members who can act as third-party lead assessors · Institution of Environmental Sciences – IES lead energy assessor
- Stroma Certification Ltd – Non-domestic energy assessor certification
What are the minimum requirements of the energy audit output?
There's guidance available here for consultants undertaking work that is part-funded by this Scheme. We advise you share the guidance and discuss the requirements with the consultant before you agree to the work. This will make sure the consultant can meet all the requirements of the scheme. On completion of the work, and in order to claim the grant, you'll be asked to declare that the work was completed satisfactorily and supply a copy of the report.
How do I apply?
Applications for the consultancy grant funding will be handled through the Welsh Government. You can access the application form here. Guidance on completing the form can be found at the back of the application form.
How do I claim the grant funding support?
In order to claim the 50% consultancy costs you must have:
- Obtained and accepted a grant offer from the Green Business Loan Scheme following submission of an application
- Completed the energy audit with the consultant named on your application
- Paid the consultant invoice in full
You can the submit the grant claim, feedback form and associated invoice here for reimbursement of 50% of the costs. We'll send these documents following acceptance of the grant offer.
How long will it take to process my claim?
We aim to settle all claims within 20 days of receiving the necessary information.
What happens next?
Once you've completed your energy audit, you should be able to see which measures are most suitable for both energy and cost savings. Your next step will be to find a suitable supplier to support the work.
Also, you might want funding to support the projects. There are many ways to access funding, including through your existing bank relationship. Alternatively, contact us to access incentivised funding through the Green Business Loan Scheme.
Who do I contact for further information?
If you have any further questions about the consultancy support offered through the Green Business Loan Scheme contact us.