We are recruiting for a portfolio development executive based out of Cardiff or Wrexham.
The Portfolio Development Executive acts as the Development Bank Investment Manager for a portfolio of equity investments and, through the provision of general advice and guidance, is responsible for ensuring maximum returns on portfolio equity investments.
The Portfolio Development Executive’s primary responsibility will be to develop an in-depth understanding of, and close working relationship with, portfolio clients. In addition, the Portfolio Development Executive will be responsible for appraising applications for any follow-on investments, whether by way of equity, debt or mezzanine support or any combination of these.
The Portfolio Development Executive is responsible for preparing the investee company for sale/the Development Bank’s exit and managing the exit process on behalf of the Development Bank as shareholder.
The Portfolio Development Executive is also responsible for identifying and appraising new equity investment opportunities for the Development Bank.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Take responsibility for the management of equity investments, including ensuring compliance with all investment documentation, e.g. shareholder agreements, Articles of Association and loan covenants.
- Develop appropriate strategic plans with the agreement of the Portfolio Development Manager and Investment Director, Wales to maximise returns to the Development Bank Group.
- Where appropriate, agree/ negotiate those strategic plans with the investee company board/ key stakeholders, utilising the Development Banks’ investment/ shareholder rights, other financial levers or influencing skills as necessary.
- Maintain routine contact with client businesses/ board members to ensure both an up to date understanding of client businesses and build strong relationships with management/ boards. Such contact to be tailored to suit the needs of each client and will include as a minimum attendance at board meetings.
- Build close working relationships internally and with external business introducers and service providers to increase market knowledge and ability to provide added value to portfolio clients
- Where appropriate identify and supply either direct or third party strategic and operational support to enhance client business value
- Produce and maintain accurate documentation for all client companies activities.
- Monitor and assess relevant information including financial information to prepare necessary reports on performance of portfolio companies. Make balanced recommendations to senior management or investment committee where additional rounds of investment are required. Manage those additional investment rounds, including legal documentation and any necessary due diligence.
- Produce regular forecasts of expected valuations/ returns for the Development Bank’s internal MI.
- Assist the investee company in its preparation for sale/ the Development Bank’s exit. Manage the exit process on behalf of the Development Bank.
- Develop and enhance the Development Bank’s reputation as a professional investment provider.
- Ensure that all interactions with internal and external bodies and members are conducted in accordance with the highest standards of customer service to ensure timely feedback to appropriate parties.
- Any other task as may be defined by the Portfolio Development Manager to meet the operational needs of the department, ensuring that at all times, the trust and confidence of the Company’s investors is retained.
Knowledge, skills, abilities and experience
- Self-motivated with the ability to take a proactive approach and work efficiently without supervision. Comfortable in dealing with time critical client sensitive work.
- Results focused
- The ability to prioritise and organise work under pressure and meet targets.
- Good communication, influencing and interpersonal skills. Strong problem solving skills.
- An understanding of company law and board procedures
- Ability to assess investment proposals and construct balanced investment proposals
- Experience of working in a financial or similar numerate environment and in particular awareness or experience of analysing financial information
- Experience of business planning, strategic advice and corporate finance projects (investments, acquisitions, disposals), working in conjunction with company boards.
- IT/PC literate with ability to use Microsoft Office Packages
- Relevant professional qualification or minimum five years relevant industry experience
- Driving Licence
- Welsh speaker
- An awareness of SME business issues in Wales