We are recruiting for a senior portfolio monitoring executive based out of Cardiff or Llanelli.
Manage the Development Bank of Wales larger and more complex portfolio investments. Through proactive monitoring of portfolio debt investments, seek to minimize the risk of financial loss to the Development Bank.
The post holder will need to build close working relationships internally and with external business introducers and service providers to increase their market knowledge and ability to provide added value to portfolio clients. A comprehensive understanding of the post holder’s portfolio will be maintained through routine monitoring and contact. Where investments have been identified as either being at risk or having significant growth potential make suitable cross references to the most appropriate portfolio team.
In addition the post holder will be responsible for appraising and assessing applications for follow-on investments, whether by way of equity, debt or mezzanine support or any combination of these.
The Senior Portfolio Executive will provide team management support for the Portfolio Manager, together with line management and guidance for portfolio executives.
The post holder may be required to deputise for the Portfolio Manager on occasion.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Undertake portfolio management of the larger and more complex debt investments.
- Independently develop appropriate plans of action to maximise returns to the Development Bank Group.
- Maintain routine contact with client businesses to both ensure an up to date understanding of each business and build strong relationships with management. Such contact to be tailored to suit the needs of each client and may include attendance at board meetings.
- Monitor and assess relevant information including financial information to prepare necessary reports on performance of portfolio companies.
- Seek out opportunities to provide follow-on applications and appraise the applications. Prepare reports where appropriate, recommending investments to the Portfolio manager, Portfolio Director and Investment committee.
- Build, develop and maintain a network of contacts to enable value add leads to portfolio customers
- Manage and motivate portfolio executives within the team, provide training, guidance and investment or restructure approval where required..
- Develop and enhance the Development Bank of Wales’ reputation as a professional investment provider.
- Ensure that all interactions with internal and external bodies and members are conducted in accordance with the highest standards of customer service to ensure timely feedback to appropriate parties.
- Any other task as may be defined by the Portfolio Manager to meet the operational needs of the department, ensuring that at all times, the trust and confidence of the Company’s investors is retained.
Knowledge, skills, abilities and experience
- Self-motivated with the ability to take a proactive approach and work efficiently without supervision. Comfortable in dealing with time critical client sensitive work.
- Results focused
- The ability to prioritise and organise work under pressure and meet targets.
- Good communication, influencing and interpersonal skills. Strong problem solving skills.
- Detailed understanding of more complex loan investments
- An understanding of company law and board procedures
- Ability to assess investment proposals and construct balanced investment proposals
- Experience of working in a financial or similar numerate environment and in particular awareness or experience of analysing financial information
- IT/PC literate with ability to use Microsoft Office Packages
- Relevant professional qualification or minimum five years relevant industry experience
- Driving Licence
- Welsh speaker
- An awareness of SME business issues in Wales